Rammohan College owes its origin to City College, Calcutta which is one of the oldest first grades College in West Bengal. It was founded in 1881 by a band of patriotic and selfless Brahmo leaders like Ananda Mohan Bose, Pandit Sivnath Sastri and Umesh Chandra Dutta. Rastraguru Surendranath Banerjee later joined the College as teacher. Up to 1961 City College had a women’s Department in morning which has separately affiliated in 1961 to the Calcutta University and renamed as Rammohan College.
The aim of College according to the founders, is to promote the cause of education in its highest and widest sense, to make education a comprehensive training of the mind, heart and body, and founded on theistic basis conductive to the good of man and glory of God.
The College is open to all female students irrespective of race, creed or caste. It has record of brilliant result. The college located at 102/1, Raja Rammohan Sarani, Kolkata-700 009. It is one of the city group College administered by Brahmo Samaj Society, a registered Society, constituted by the Sadharan Brahmo Samaj, Calcutta.
Rammohan College has recently acquired the heritage building at 85A, 85B, 85C and 85D Raja Rammohan Sarani which was once the family residence of Raja Rammohan Roy, and his descendants. A memorial courses especially for women will be housed here under autonomous body of management at the ancestral house.
A new science building for Rammohan College is also under construction next to the heritage building. The ground floor and the first and second floor of this building are complete and some classes are being held there. The College received possession of plot nos. 85B, C&D, Raja Rammohan Sarani, kolkata- 700 009 on the 4th August, 2005 from the First Land Acquisition Collector, Calcutta. Execution and registration of the deed by West Bengal Government in favour of the college will prepare a plan for construction of College building on those premises too.